I have been sold on bike-share in KTM

I have written four other posts on a similar topic, and they will be published after this one. Here I want to talk about why I resisted the pull of bike-share and why I have finally been sold on the idea and technology.
 

Even ten years ago people in Kathmandu would have been warded out using motor-bike taxis. That was something that happened in South-East Asia, people were too conservative here, the government wouldn't allow it, the taxis wouldn't allow it, they would be too unsafe. Most importantly of all though, the technology Just wasn't here. These were the early days even for uber and Lyft and there was so much uncertainty.
 

I legit thought they would just be slightly less pricey versions of taxi. I feared the constant haggling, the frustration and confusion, oh and rude mean awful drivers. Turns out technology solved all those issues.
 

The price issue was solved by demand and unrestrained supply. Haggling was solved by in-app price-setting and taking. Rider and passenger behavior was fixed by a robust eating system. Passengers are generous and riders are reasonable, I'm told.
 

It's so much more freaking convenient than public transport. Not much pricey either. With public transport prices and everything else getting crazy expensive, it's silly to not use this if one has literally anything else going on in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.