Chinese order in, Eating out and NYC friends [Fri 17]

Got up, at some time, don't remember. Skipped breakfast.

Super duper hungry for lunch couldn't think straight. Spent 20 minutes trying to figure out with N what to get for lunch. The conclusion was that maybe we should order from different places. He went to one of the halal carts nearby. I ordered tofu rice and scallion pancakes from a nearby vegetarian chinese place. So satisfying so yummy.

Had a one-on-one meeting with my manager. Talked about moving plans. My permanent moving plans to move to Philly might have to be put on hold, even if it's 'permanent' for a year, because they're not sure when the work's going to open and they could bring us back any month after January. So one option's ruled out pretty much.

Had five meetings with different groups of work folks throughout the day. My days aren't usually so busy, this one was interesting because I'm trying to put my fingers in many many pies. Hopefully some of those pies are warm wellcooked and tasty and won't give me a horrible stomachache once consumed. Portion control is another problem with pies that are too good. I'm speaking in metaphors, it's literally a problem too.

The final meeting of the day was the mentoring group of Tufts grad students that I'm overseeing. Their project is coming to an end, they've made great improvements, learnt from my teachings and want me to keep meeting me to take my guidance even after the project is done. I'm all set, we could even start a startup that way!

After work and related meetings were done, I cleaned up, helped sort the place out, and we went out for dinner. We had reserved at Monk's and at Good Dog, the latter came in earlier, so N and I sat down.

A few short minutes later, the rest of the gang showed up! They had driven in from New York, NY, freshened up at their airbnb and come to see us. It was YP, SHK and ND! I hadn't seen YP in five years, the last time I saw her she and her then-partner were going into the gym as I was coming out of it. We both agreed we were both very similar as people hugged talked etc. SHK, who was YP's friend and roommate at grad school was really funny and we got to learn a lot of her. I ordered vegan philly cheesesteak with fries. The smell of vegan meat was a bit off, not sure if that's how beef smells or if it's the fauxness I don't like.

After a couple of hours, we walked to their airbnb to check if the car parking situation was in order, and checked out their stay. It was a large studio apartment, fine by NYC standards, but I wouldn't make it my normal stay place. Great for a vacation pad for a night or two. By now perhaps it was that we'd talked about wedding and RD's sudden marriage things in NYC all of that or what not, but SHK said she was tired and hoped to go to bed. So YK, ND, N and I got back from their airbnb to our place.

Drank for a couple more hours, they did, we talked. About everything and events that happened in the last few weeks in NYC. ND disagreed with the folks, I didn't have a dog in the fight because I hadn't gone. Good conversations good people, they left at 12.30 ish maybe one, which was earlier than otherwise because we planned to get up at 7 and leave for hiking early the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.