I bought an embarassingly expensive knife, really hope it's not a mistake

After being in the waiting list for six months, keeping the shopping cart all set for three weeks, with the cc'info and everything, and convincing my friends to gift me the leather pouch for it, which was half as expensive as the original item itself, I bought myself the Lamson knife recommended by Brad Leone. A hundred and ten buckaroos, all said and done, a little more with tax included.

I was pretty excited about it, until I decided to trawl the internet for reviews. Some say, and these are the reviews from last year but it's important to keep those in mind too, that they're poorly made, don't have straight edges, and need some work before somebody can work on them with confidence. They were disappointed by the quality of those knives apparently. Which does not bode well for me, because outside of electronics and core hobby stuff, this may be the most unreasonably expensive gift I've given myself. Well besides the art I've been buying, because...it's good for the mood...and an investment...and...stuff, geeez stoppp making me feel bad alright, I like what I like and won't let anybody stop me.

Except perhaps the bad reviews.

I should have at least read some of the reviews before pushing the buy button. I usually do, go deep into the depth of what it would be useful for, how other people like it, what they've been using for, across various websites to be sure I don't fall for the fake websites. And it's not cheap, at the price. Sure it's not one of those super expensive japanese knives, but...for me...it's quite...pricey. And I don't even cook that much. What am I going to be cutting with those anyway?!

My thought is, I'll get it sharpened professionally for ten bucks, and keep using it for several years, carry it everywhere I go, treat it like a baby. It is, after all a 'Chef's knife', and not a kitchen knife, which means where the chef goes, so does the knife. Many after many solid years of use, I'll gift it to somebody that would really enjoy using it, and let them know what a big deal it is. Gifts are not about pricetags, they're about the emotions behind them, and the longer something's been close to your heart, the more emotionally attached you are to them, and the greater impact it is to the receiver.

Speaking of gifts and emotional attachment and how that works, I remember gifting the scarf I'd worn for more than a year to somebody, I don't remember who, but they really enjoyed it...Oooh I think it was TD, she really loved it when she was over last year, and I just gave it away. Felt so good! Need to be doing more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.