On Hafiz hafiz hafiz, and how poems can be good too


Last night was spent reading a LOT of Hafiz and ahem Hafiz-inspired poetry by a popular translator. The book is called The Gift and looks like it could be by Hafiz, but it's a contemporary take on the Sufi poet. It's pretty good, the only reason I gave it a chance was because it said Hafiz but once I read it it was easy to see it's got quite a lot of value by itself.

Thinking about gifting Hafiz's collections to friends for the holidays this year.

As regular readers of the blog will know, my relationship with poetry is...tenuous at best, I love making fun of poems and poetry and like taking it not seriously. Though in all honesty I'd like to become a good poet and really *get* poetry, you know? Hafiz's poetry is simple to understand, to the point, there's no hidden meanings or what have you not, and if there is you don't need to get the context to get it.

The journey's only begun. Keeping this post short because I'm going to be adding a lot to it in the coming weeks and months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.