Oh master, my Taskmaster

 Over four months ago, during my stay in Philly I absolutely went knee-deep in Taskmaster series, the Channel four comedy program hosted by Greg Davis and designed and produced by Alex horne that the kind folks have uploaded the full episodes on Youtube. It was quite a journey then, I discovered Alice Levine was a comedian outside of mdwap, finally found Aisling Bea, and the cast of other amazing british comedians, and remembered for the ten thousandth time that British comedy is generally so much better than American. Except The Office, the American one is better one there, and I'm willing to die on that hill so FIGHT ME IF YOU DARE YA COWARDS!

I spent many a night staying up finishing the episodes and giggling to myself, much to the amusement of N and S, my hosts and the roommates for the time being. The show's so funny, what can I say, it's quite hard to not be totally bawling and howling in laughter, rolling on the floor after you've lost control of your senses and you muscle control, shitting and pissing yourself because it's so genuine, the fact that they're doing something fun, unscripted, forces their normal funny side to come out naturally. Katherine Ryan aaahh, and the discovery that you know what, there are some amazing women who've had done plastic surgery to their lips for no other reason than to just show the finger to the man. Again, what a revelation.

Bringing this up because I've been getting back into the groove in the last few days, since I've got too much time on my hands, and too lazy to be doing other things such as writing when I should be and regular meditation, the constant watching of the series on youtube is how I've been spending all my free time. Ahh what a joyful time it's been. Some episodes are better than others, some performers more entertaining, certain series a lot more interesting with better chemistry than the others. Each scenario is unique, the dynamics so ridiculous you gotta roll your eyes and go along. What a ride. What a ride.

Observations: Jessica from series seven is amazing, how did I not notice that before. Rhod, who was just showing up in the uploads three months ago when I was all caught up is not as awful a character as I feared he was. James Acaster is a goddamn hilarious man, Jon from season 2 is amazing, so is Bob from one of them seasons, and owh so many other characters too. The British-Indian comedians aren't too bad themselves.

When I see the participants in their other works, which is not too mindblowing because after all they are performers, and their dayjob is not participating in gameshows all the time, I get irrationally excited. Ooohh look look, I shouted at my friends the other day, when katherine ryan was on tv the other day, this is the girl from the videos i showed on youtube! I introduced Aisling Bea as the funny woman from taskmaster, alice levine also as a taskmaster contestant who also has a very popular podcast, etcetera. You get the idea.

What a joy the show's given me, the amazing times and memories it's created. It feels like I'm a part of the community, that I really know the characters. And why not, every episode has be in tears of laughter, must be scary wild for my roommates to hear me laughing maniacally from inside my room. Ah well, it's one heck of a show, what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.