Ason-Indra chowk before Tihar is scary

 I went to the Ason-Indra chowk area two days before laxmi Puja, my plans had been set in stone at that point and I was hoping to get some shopping done pre-departure. I wanted Tongba mugs among other things. Any way that was one of the most hectic trips I have made to the area.

First, the heat. I was donned in the standard Uniqlo fluffy Jacket that is otherwise not very warm. On this occasion though, I was sweating ' in the heat of Kathmandu winter sun. Which is fine, whatever. What drove me crazy, and a little bit scared is the crowd of people.

That area is already as busy as it gets foot-traffic wise on a normal day. What I had failed to consider was that Laxmi Puja was 2 days away, bhai tika four, and the highest concentration of spice, nuts, and ritual supplies stores happens to be there! So even regular walking 'on the streets was impossible, doubly so for somebody who needed to find a store, didn't even know where I would be going. So for somebody to amble about in that heat and crowd made zero sense. I walked all the way to Thamel, got a cold drink, and called it a day for my shopping trip, preparing for the uncomfortable conversation that lay ahead of me.

Literally nothing 'got remotely checked off from my shopping list.

So the whole gist of the situation is this-unless I have a really really good reason to, I'm not going to go to the old city area of town during the festival time.

Man I want the freaking tongba jars so bad now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.