The two reasons I don't write are anxiety and the 'activation energy' for a laptop

This is in the theme of things I have been discovering about myself ' topics that are been written in recent weeks. The other day I got thinking how my writing journey with new kindle has been so productive. What are the variables, I asked myself, the decide my prolificity and regularity in writing? I came up with two variables and a couple more that are somewhat related.

First, there's the anxiety. As in, the more stressed-out and anxious I'm due to other reasons, the less likely I'm to write. Which implies, I guess that I don't see writing as a relaxing 'or de-stressing activity. At least on the laptop. And that makes sense, I'm not an expert and need to put in considerable effort into it with no clear reward.

The second variable is the medium itself, the laptop. A certain amount of energy goes into setting 'it up, typing and most importantly of all, not getting distracted.. Plus the social costs of bringing out a screen in front of everybody. Plus 'laptop' often isn't and writing on one is nowhere as easy as pen-on-paper.
It's not the running that counts it turns out, it's the starting and showing every God damn day which is a bit harder on a laptop versus a kindle. My pace may be slow and the word counts lower, but by God I'm getting my writing 'done. Nothing to distract me, no browser or software to open up, the lowering of the future has really made the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.