Turns out I'd forgotten flirting in Nepali

This will be short because it's a rather uncomfortable topic, I'm writing only due to running out of other meatier things to write about.

Talking to romantic interests is an art and a craft in Nepal that takes wiles and experience in avoiding common pitfalls, something I'd forgotten due to being away for so long and not having persons I was specially interested in. I'd become a boring no ob, transparent and honest, clearly showing all the cards from start with nothing to hide. Radical honesty, I thou­ght, was the easiest way to bond and get to know each other. What I'd forgotten was that we're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy, and the way things are done here are different, yeah even at this age and time. It's a lot more of a negotiation, a relationship in Nepal, than submission and mutual partnership. That is the reason I've been so stressed out and anxious even though in my mind things were going great, I could not comprehend why I was struggling so much.

Now I know. And while I am not adept at this negotiating situation the simple awareness of what is happening has given me so much perspective and comfort on what I might need to do. Regardless of any of this, there's never a guarantee that all things will be well forever, but once you understand the rules of the game the 22 people running 'around a rubber bladder seems much less like chaos and way more like a controlled process. The outcome of that process may go against your interests but at least you understood how it all played out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.