On Rice

I've written about rice on and off. Not one of those 'on' pieces on it. Here it is.

I'm not a big fan of rice.

My family eats it, my friends eat it everyone I know eats it all the time. I know people who are not happy with two solid rice-based meals a day for years and will happily do a third meal of rice. If it's not rice rice it's often puffed rice or beaten rice or rice with milk which somehow people don't even consider to be rice or rice-based desserts maybe something do do with rice flour but rice indeed. Rice on rice. Rice on rice. On repeat. More rice. Rice. Ricericericeiceriririceeecee.

Some of my friends are not big fans of rice either. They'll go days even weeks without eating rice. But once they eat it, on a wednesday lunch, they'll talk about it for the next  week. Yeah it had been maybe two weeks since I had rice last I had it for lunch so good I had such a restful peaceful sleep. Head had hurt for three weeks it's all gone now. You think there's something missing in your life can't figure what it is you get a nice big plate of rice with chicken or fish you know rice was the missing hole in your life. They will then eat rice for dinner, lunch next day and binge eat rice for several days. Complain about how they're gaining weight after.

Rice is filling. Rice is comforting. Rice is easy to make. Rice can be fermented. Rice is mostly neutral and goes with a large variety of addons, the combinations are endless. There are so many different kids of rice now health reason cannot be the sole justification of thumbing your nose at rice. it's great and everything yeah.

I'm not a hater of rice.

It's just that...it's boring. How much rice can a rice eater rice rice rice. There's got to be a limit. I'll eat it, I'll cook it it's easy and everyone loves it. There has to be a point where you explore other base carbs. Potatoes are good who doesn't like a good potato. So versatile, it can be the base dish and the side dish. And it ferments too. Sweet potato is pretty good too. How about various nutritious flours and the breads you can make out of them. Cakes even. Baked goods. Flour soups. Fried carbs. Fried soups. Rice is just one kind of grain. There are many other kinds of grains. Why must we feel obliged to limit ourselves to the same one kind.

We are after all not married to rice, we did not sign a legal document with rice or even made promises to spend reasonable personal time with them. We have never been romantically involved with rice. Rice is a great carb amazing grain such versatility such ease such nutrition there's no complaints. It's just that...maybe it's time to try something else. It's not cheating.

The evening that I had rice, I slept a nice restful sleep. I had rice the day after for lunch it was a holiday and I napped for three hours after lunch. You don't need sleep aids with a good bellyful of rice with spicy curry that's for sure. Nice basmati rice is comforting mind clearing it brings you back to a place very few food items can take you to. It's cool, no complaints.

But you're not married to rice. You're not dating not even seeing it casually. Why the devotion then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.