Maybe I should slow things down with the grocery shopping

 Talked to my parents earlier this evening, they suggested maybe I should take it easy with the frequent grocery trips. I have after all been doing grocery several times a week, the most I've ever done in recent...ever ever...including the walks to Naya Baneshwar in Kathmandu. My trips have increased in frequency because there's little else to do that involves being away from the screen and by yourself, but now it's looking like it might have negative repercussions.

The numbers in MA are now the greatest ever. There's a good chance a large number of grocery store workers are positive because they come in such close contact with other shoppers. Surely the hundreds and thousands of shoppers they interact with must have it. Then there's careless store workers, I saw a few on the Market Basket trip earlier today who had their noses exposed to the world, to make sure everybody was smelling their deadly viruses I imagine.

So if I'm to slow things down with the groceries, a couple of changes will have to be made. Fruits, I need to get those that can last for several days, upto weeks, not eat it or throw it types. Second, not too much greens or easy-spoil vegetables. Lots of root vegetables and gourds because they last longer. Hearty carbs that fill me up easy because that way there are fewer trips. Larger boxes of things like mushroom and nuts so the trips are shorter. Cooking in bigger batches so they don't go bad. Cooking multiple dishes in large batch so I don't go insane eating the same goddamn thing over and over and over and over again, like often happens with me. Larger loaves of more basic bread. Boiled eggs instead of those cooked any other way because they last longer and easier to store. Possibly cook in batch in the oven, put it in the freezer and cook when I need to eat. Canned items. It's time to hunker down it seems. Again.

I don't mind, the grocery store is just a destination I've given myself so my trips have a explicit real destination. It doesn't need to be that way, I could go to a park, a river, a donut shop, a coffee shop, anything anywhere. Meet a person, touch a bell whatever. I was having fun though, grocery shopping is one of my 'hobbies' so to speak. Obviously not the perfect time to explore that hobby this, but what a bummer.

Maybe I should head early in the morning, before anybody is up and when the stores are as good as empty, and make the grocerytrip and walking separate entities. That way I could enjoy regular grocery trips but they'd be in the morning now, and walk, and not have to endanger myself and the roommates with the virus.

At this point it's a little unclear how much of superspreading places they are, but common sense would suggest that since I don't spend any time in enclosed spaces with random strangers they are the likeliest place to make me sick. Just...what a loss.

The idea is to talk to my roommates this evening, tomorrow maybe, discuss their comfort levels and work with it. It would make little sense if they're out doing more dangerous things but if they consider this to be the riskiest activity that happens in our household, something I should definitely fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.