Chief guested at a friend's engagement, maybe I'm not fluent in Nepali anymore

It's quite sad, the events of the occasion in question happened almost a month ago and I'm getting around to writing it now. No worries, better this than nothing. Here we go.

Astute readers will remember from my journal entries from a month ago when I talked about how I spoke on my friends' wedding. The apostrophe is in the right location, friend SB got engaged to friend and former roommate PS. This is specially great for me because I've gotten wedding invitations from both bride and groom, which means in ceremonies where monetary rewards are involved I can change sides depending on what's the most advantageous at the moment. So I can go with the groom from the janti party, and then instantly change to the bride's side to receive the janti, then quickly turn around to groom's side when there's dakshina involved, and so on and so forth, you get the idea. This is big deal for me.

In any case, the engagement right. So in the engagement ceremony apparently you gotta pretend that the groom and the bride don't know each other despite having dated for fourteen years in this particular case. Then somebody from the girls' side will ask the groom's side on why they've arrived, and somebody from the groom party will have to give an answer. In a funny improvisational sort of way. That was the impression I got anyway.

So SB's dad got me roped in to be the talker from the groom's side, and I took that with great stride. Finally an opportunity for fame and greatness, to practice my comedy skills, I thought! I practiced a bunch and improvised as well. I couldn't remember it all because honestly I couldn't be arsed to but the words that SB's dad had written were long and confusing and it'd have taken some serious effort.

We were a little late to the engagement and I was worried they were all worried for the chief guest aka me. Truth be told maybe I wasn't technically the chief guest but in my mind I was. We waited for another hour before I gave my improvised speech etcetera. Any everybody burst into laughter. It was amazing I felt so good. I was reading generally from the phone but it felt good.

SB's dad wasn't too happy that I hadn't gone by the script, and felt there were some errors on my part, but everybody enjoyed and had a great time and auntie was alright with it.

So anyway in SB's mom's side of the family I was super popular and everybody asked who the guy who'd given the speech was. I was the talk of the town, and I imagined it was because I was so goddamn funny and smart and intelligent, you know?

Apparently it was because my pronunciation was so bad they thought I couldn't read or maybe even speak english, and they felt that the speech was a valiant effort from me to get in better touch with my roots. What a bummer.

Ehh, don't care. A crowd of people laughing at your speech is still a crowd of people laughing at your content. Even if they're laughing at you, they'll eventually come around.

It was fun.

And that is how I started thinking, maybe I should start considering standup as a side-hustle, at least in Kathmandu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.