Wolfwalkers: A review

 I didn't want to watch this movie.

Because I knew it would be full of the feeelz, and be sad and dramatic but also lovable and adorable, and it'd make me cry. I tried to avoid watching it I really did, as PN watched it I did all I could to focus on something else anything really as long as it meant I didn't have to listen to the sounds and watch the video.

The animation is beautiful, each frame is hand-drawn watercolor painting. The medium is perfect, the level of abstraction showing the town from the sky is adorable.

The political message is quite..heavy. It's an obvious allegory for well..wolves, and animals and how humans have taken over the world of animals. But also it's a not-too-subtle allegory about the British excesses in Ireland and the particular brutality of Oliver Cromwell towards the Irish. I wish I didn't know and didn't have to think about these things.

Which is why the Good Friday Agreement and the American guarantee of the Irish peace process is so important.

What a great story. Just watch it.

I don't want to give away too many spoilers but I was able to watch this movie without too much anxiety, which means that not too many Seriously Bad things happen. Good people don't die.

The ending is morose and unfulfilling I guess, as life is.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.