IT crowd: review

Full disclosure: I haven't watched the full series, and the later episodes I've only half-watched because I was distracted with other things.

It took me forever to get into IT crowd. The reason: it looks quite dated even though it was shot while The Office was still on air. The quality looks so bad, everything looks poorly made and oh so...dare I say it...oh heck..British. And not necessarily in a good way.

What sold me was Katherine Parkinson. I saw her on Taskmaster and realized she was a gem, I needed to consume every major piece of work she'd participated in. And then on youtube I stumbled into bits and pieces of Richard Ayode's Travelman which piqued my curiosity about the overeducated clown. And I made the jump.

The first few episodes are just...ok. The show grows on you gradually. It's sweet, adorable, and there's a clear gradual growth in all the characters. The office gets cleaner every episode. And oooh noel fielding's weird goth/vampire character is just too weird to not get into.

There's ups and downs throughout the series, some episodes are better than others, but overall there's a high level of british comedy maintained. I can see why this sort of show would not make it big in the US, it doesn't seem like it's made for mass appeal, most definitely not targeted at Americans. It was quite popular in the UK though, surprisingly I'd say, it's charming in the sort of way small towns that were quite importantly historically but now don't have much going on for themselves except the seasonal tourism business are.

A good show, I should complete it when I get the oppportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.