I'm thinking of doing standup in Nepal

 I'm not underestimating the seriousness of it. There's no denying it's hard work, needs a lot of effort put in, and a good understanding of once's audience. One needs to not just know who their audience is, but to be reading them throughout the show, so they don't get in the wrong key or just create the wrong vibe. I have very limited experience doing all of this, and if I were good at reading people I'd probably be a lot more successful so there's no real reason why I should be even attempting this and dare to think I'd be very good at it.

Though, think about this. All the other dudes doing this are bad. And they're offensively bad. And they're offensive, making shitty jokes that are dated by like seventy years. Without seeming to understand what they're messing up. Worst case, I won't get too many laughs but at least I won't be actively antagonizing groups of people who've been down in the dumps and kicked around throughout the history. If nothing else, I know to punch up not down. Which already lifts me way, wayyy above the bottom of the barrel.

Other thing: I know my 'voice'. I've written so much here, and in my other post, and talking to people I have a general sense of the topics I'd probably cover, the angle I'd get to those with. Like I'm not going to be talking about how annoying other bikers are and how scary it is to have a girl behind you, yadda yadda, that' s just not me. My driving hypothesis is that the world needs a bit more of me, well maybe not me me, but definitely more of me than the other dudes that are spreading their smelly fart ideological shitcomedy around pissing off and just rousing rabble.

And hey, people laugh when I try, sometimes okay. It's either that I'm good at talking to women, or I'm funny. Since the first isn't true, the second has to be. And my family's laughing at even the stupidest jokes. Oh and the time I gave the speech in my friend's engagement, everybody just burst out laughing. I haven't written about that yet, should turn that into a separate post. The best comedy audience is a drunk audience, it can't be that bad.

Should talk to my sister about it, and see if there's open mic nights or amateur nights where I can book for free.

It would be quite pathetic to have to pay to perform standup at a restaurant after all, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.