Ultralight is the only way to go

 If I haven't said it in here already...I should actually get around to saying that, different conversation there...I'm planning on going on a long long hike, either the PCT or the APT at the earliest possible time, whenever I can get a few month of break from work.

And the only way to do it is carry less than 20 pounds of supplies and equipment on my back. Because more than that, and my knees hurt, my body collapses and I won't be able to move forward a week into the trip.

That means that I need to do hella lot of research on lightweight mostly expensive equipment, learn to use them properly. It means I need to learn to be 'one with nature', sleep perhaps without a tent, make-do with being friends with cold and heat, with moisture, and learn ways to adapt to them and hopefully avoid them.

It means I'll need means to identify rivers and other sources of water so I don't have to be a camel and carry dozens of pounds of water to last me for days. It means that I can't just throw in whatever I think I might need at some point in the future.

It's not going to be luxury, not at all.

It's possible I'll be doing it all by myself. Alone and possibly lonely save for the friends I make on the trails. It won't be comfortable.

It most certainly won't be 'fun', in any sense of the word.

And I need to start preparing for it. Right about now.

I'm ready for the challenge.

Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.