I need to get better with mechanical tools and equipment

 This is desperation, don't judge me. They're not just manly tools. It's understanding the modern world and the technology that drives it. It's specially embarrassing as I work in a technical field, my work is supposed to interact with the real world but I don't understand the interface. I don't understand mechanical engineering things or the electronics that drive them.

I understand only the 'soft' part of the 'wares' that interact with real-life world. If I did figure out how things worked, I'd not need to connect to a remote central server to turn my fan or lights off, it'd be locally-run systems. I could create automated and internet-connected systems for microgreens and sprouts, for kombucha and my wines. I'd engineer the crap out of things. I'd 3d print the parts I needed, 'cnc' them, laser-cut and all the other technical things cool people do.

I want to learn carpentry, make molds and create casts out of them, and do 'crafty' things. I want to take electronics apart and put them back successfully, without fearing them breaking again in two goddamn weeks like what happened to my phone a couple of months ago.

I want to open the hood of a car and successfully name every part in there, have a good understanding of what's happening in each of those. I want to be able to troubleshoot car troubles, and have a good idea on how they might be fixed, even if I'm not fully convinced on the technique itself. I want to understand fully the inner workings of engines and turbines, and the tradeoffs they make.

I don't want to be embarrassed when I have to ask my Math Phd friend -- who, again, is not an engineer -- to fix my brakes and chains or other mechanical parts. I just want to have an intuitive understanding of how our tools and machine works. And then be able to fix them, without much trouble.

I don't know where to start from, that's the problem. Roommate BB is good with cars, I hear neighbors asking him for car things. He did work in the garage back in the day -- there's no craft he hasn't worked in, funny stuff. And you need dirt and grease on your hands to figure it out, youtubing and reading is not going to make anyone an expert in this. But then...I'm not placed in the situation to work with machines. I don't own a car, and not in super duper close contact with bikes or machinery either.

I should really get a go with electronics, there's nothing stopping me from creating complicated contractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.