Cooking grand, once again

 On Friday I cooked, along with AS, a six-dish dinner: rice, dal, spinach ko saag, golbheda ko achar, mapo tofu and kinema ko tarkari. On Sunday, I planned and cooked, along with AS and a couple of other friends, an eight-dish lunch: rice, dal, golbheda ko achar, hummus, kale ko saag, mustag alu, alu maseura, and eggplant. Took a lot longer, but it was totally worth it. Dare I say a bit too much and a bit overwhelming because it was a cacophony of all the tastes and textures and smells.

Still, I'm cooking big and hosting people and inviting guests and having a good time and for that I'm very happy. The lull in inviting people and cooking and funhaving that had been ongoing for the several preceding months has ended I'm hoping, and one can hopefully be doing a lot of hosting and being social extroverted etcetera once again.

That's it. I need to expand my repertoire of dishes I can cook, there's always that, but the raw materials for random items are so freakin' expensive and  there's no point shelling big bucks for items you don't care for that much and you're going to mess up cooking anyway.

But still, man these dinners can add up in the prices sometimes. The lunch for the group of five cost me about thirty bucks in raw materials and a lot of that was leftovers and groceries for me (though my co-cook did take away most of the leftovers as well) but still, it's shocking how poorly I've been grocery shopping lately. That, or the prices are cray-cray. Either way when I start doing it more often I'll have a good sense of how to reign in the prices, and how to put on the whole show a lot quicker and with less freaking out.

I'm excited about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.