Soy boy projects

I finally got my Soy projects goin' on and I'm excited!

First things first, I very much oversoaked my soybeans. You're supposed to soak them overnight I did it for a day. It was fine it turns out. Second, the amount of foam that was produced when I pressure cooked it was insane, I was worried the foam would block the whistle and I had visions of me dying and this being my last day on this realm, just for the sake of a potfull of soybeans. That didn't happen thankfully, but there's a lot of small bits of burnt soybeans in my place, and everything smelled like burnt material for almost a day.

So yeah, pressure cooked the beans, looked up the recipe for kinema, put half of the cooked beans in a container within two layers of insulated bags, and everything into the oven with the lights on. Man, I discovered I needn't have invested in all the temperature thingamajig because oven with light on is the best way to maintain constant but high temperature inside the house. Anyway, I'm confident kinema is going to work out because there's so few places for it to fail.

I also finally opened the packet of tempeh starter and used it on the other half of the beans. This one, I'm not so sure, because first the humidity levels were different than the ones shown online. And also I used so many utensils and pots and actions on those beans, I'd be mightily surprised if they turned okay. And finally, I didn't use the full packet of starter because the size of my dish was smaller than the ones on youtube, so I figured I didn't want to waste the precious precious spores. If it works, I'll be happy, if it doesn't ehh, there's more to life. Also realized that I didn't even need the soy beans, I coulda done it with canned chickpeas and blackbeans, something I'll look into next. So excited about homemade tempeh though!

Also planned on doing soymilk, but turns out the beans for soymilk need to be cooked for a very different amount of time than for everything else.

After planning for two freakin' years, my soy projects are finally coming to fruition. I know I said I'd make natto, but if the kinema project works out, I imagine that's as close to natto I'll get without buying the spores, and I dunno if I'm really into slimy soybeans that much.

And of course, tofu is still in the plans.

Exciting things are ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.