Thoughts after the third and semi-final comedy class

 My first videotaped set, and it seems there's a plateau for a lot of people's performances. I...gotta get better, people keep laughing at the wrong places, and the instructor doesn't seem to get what I'm tryina say at all. Maybe its different comedy styles because some of my classmates do get what I'm tryina say, but that's not matters, you gotta reach out to the masses.

We had a comedian come to give us pointers, and it was super helpful. I might completely rewrite the majority of my set, and it'll be fine because I'll finnesse this to the point of puking, for sure. My problem was I didn't rehearse enough, I didn't cut down on the fat enough. It's about being funny, not about being accurate or talking about your days. Sigh.

The gang hung out after the comedy class, the entire set almost, and it was lots of fun. Got to know a couple of folks better, I can confidently say I know most of my comedy gang at this point. Walked home halfway with one of the dude and one of the ladies in the class told me we should have a conversation about me being a part of 'the lifestyle' which uhhh sure I'd like to understand what the wild people are doing, like in an anthropological sense mostly and not as one of the monkeys, but still.

Lots more work needed, the investment in the class was totally worth it, and I need to be spending a lot more time doing comedy to get better. It's like a hobby that takes lots of wok and effort and you cannot fake it. Gotta know what works and what does not. Also need to take other classes like this, if only to make friends!

I'm very very afraid about the coming tuesday's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.