I take it back, Rye is not terrible if you're used to eating it, it's just a matter of expectations

I've complained in a couple of earlier posts about how tough and awful rice is to eat as a grain, and what an awful mistake I potentially made with buying rye berries. Well...I've been eating those for several days in a row at this point as a sort of rice/bhuja replacement, and they've grown on me actually. It's like a mixture of rice and puffed rice, except they don't go soggy even if they're covered in yummy sauces and oils. If they're cooked in the pressure cooker for an hour or longer, they'd be perfect, probably, but even when slightly chewy, they're easy to handle. My first experience with them was less than ideal because I wasn't sure what it was, there was uncertainty and confusion. And then it was meh originally because I was expecting rice or quinoa or sorghum, but those it ain't. It's an unhulled grain, raw as the day it was picked from the plants.

I was considering turning the grains into flour for pancakes after soaking for a few days to make the experience palatable, but I don't think it's needed at this point. It's great as it is, and I'll get to like it in the future. Only thing of concerns is that guests are not going to like it, and it will need to be tempered with other grains, lots of oil, and possibly in salads to introduce it to new people. But once people get the hang of it, it's absolutely acceptable.

No more complaints from me here, not for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.