Local social activism may not be a good way to meet romantic partners, but it's a great way to be a part of a community

Agh, so I'm a member of a couple of local social-political organizations, one might even say I'm somewhat of an activist. In the last two months I've met organizers, non-profit people, politicians, journalists, and bureaucrats, to try to understand burning local issues, and how we might come together to solve the biggest problems.

It's amazing, let me tell you that, I'm learning so much on the technicalities of city-running, how bureaucracy deals with political mandates, how non-profits and organizers play a part in politics, and the role of mass media in policy-making. I've also understood the importance of good visual storytelling for creating impactful messages that can be easily consumed. Basically now I understand what all the training I received in the college was for.l

So I'm a member of three or so groups, and I meet the same people every couple of weeks, and we are barely friends, but it feels nice to have a community your are conjoined with for a common cause, you know. I understand the French like to go on protests etcetera as entertainment and to meet people, but that is not the case here unfortunately, as the local causes I attend to are important for all genders and classes but have an 9:1 gender ratios with men overwhelmingly in the majority. What a terrible way to meet a potential romantic partner this is. But oh, we're gonna get things done, influence the local politics, and makes lives for the future generations better. Very excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.