Medium-term impact of turning my cellphone and work laptop grayscale: outcomes of a personal experiment

Here's the summary: I have turned my laptop screen at work grayscale completely for the last two weeks, and the same with my phone. I will turn on the color for my phone on extreme circumstances, but never for the computer screen mostly because I don't know how. The results.

First, you don't want to go back to color after going grayscale because they hurt your eyes. They're all so vivid and distracting and 'interesting' that you would rather just go back to the colorless palette. Having said that, my content consumption in the work laptop hasn't decrease, though the nature of it is shifting, something I can clearly feel live as it happens. Youtube and videos are a lot less interesting or engaging when there's no color on the screen. Videos lose their charm. Text content on the other hand stays the same, and therefore 'gains' in relative terms. It's impossible to watch gaming videos with team colors because they look all the same. Email on the browser is tricky to work with because you don't know what you've checked already and what remains to be looked at. Life is really really really challenging for color-blind folks, is the primary lesson of this whole journey.

I will keep going with this until I find a reason to not do it. It definitely hasn't controlled my web addiction or distraction from annoying content, though I could foresee this sort of habit eventually morphing into more 'disciplined' techniques. I like it and would recommend everybody at least trying it for a week or two. Get rid of color from all your screens!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.