More grains, MOAR GRAINS

Here's my grain-upgrade.

I just cooked the first batch of rye berries, which happened to be unhulled rye grains. I kind of forgot about the 'unmilled/unhulled' part for a while, but no matter, I sprouted the grains for a few days, and boiled the mofo in a pot of boiling water for 1.5 hours. The grains are still chewy, but workable, should be fine with veggies and beans. Or at least not much worse than the kodo-sorghum mixture that was eaten for weeks, with great enjoyment too in the end.

That's for the existing grains. I have ordered a few more.

I ordered barley pearls because barley is one of the more common grains that I didn't have. It'll be useful to make tea out of it, make soups, and generally use it as rice replacement. I'm aware it takes AGES to cook, which is why the pressure cooker is going to be a great friend of mine in the near future.

Then there's steel-cut oats because yeah oats as rolled form are great for breakfast, but what about dinner? So steel cut oats are basically rice replacement that I can whip up in 15 minutes and eat it with veggies. The more edible version of my other grains, something to 'fill out' the harder grains and turn them more pliable, together with quinoa.

And oh, also ordered like 20lbs of rolled oats because maaan, I gotta buy 'em at this rate, seeing as I'm running through a pound of those in 3 days, and 2lbs of rolled oats is like 6 buckaroos at TJ's. This was getting unsustainable rather quickly, so the bulk grains are going to let me control my hunger, cholesterol, and my budget. I'll keep providing updates on the grain situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.