rye grains are just as yucky as anticipated

 I cooked rye grains for an hour or so earlier today, and uhhh they are just as crap as one had expected them to be. So very tough even after hours of cooking, not great flavor, and generally a mediocre experience in eating. Which is fine, that was the goal of the whole experiment: to identify grains I like and grains that I don't, and figure out how to make use of the ones I don't get along with. So rye with veggies and saag is just okay, and it would be a tough sell for salads either (unlike millet...). Perhaps the ebst way to deal with it would be to sprout it for a few days and pressure cook it, or roast it and pressure cook it. It's not the grain that one has issues with, it's the fact that one bought a large volume of unhulled berries that one has little experience cooking or even interacting with. While the flavor and texture might be a bit of an initial compromise, all the fibers going inside my body must be doing so crazy good, I can't even imagine. Honestly, it will all have been worth it if at the end of all of this, the doctor tells me my cholesterol is under control all of a sudden and whether I'm taking medication or something, because it's a medical miracle! Then I'll send them the link to my grains, and write a self-help diet book on how I changed my life drastically with this diverse-grain diet.

It comes down to self-help books in the end, doesn't it, everyone wants to write one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.