All this consumption of Tasmaster content is getting out of control

 I've talked about taskmaster before in these pages. Too much for comfort possibly as I won't stop talking about it in front of friends. Sometimes I feel like I'm addicted to it as it's too good, so very great.

There was a four-month lull when they paused with the upload of new episodes on youtube, but I've completed watching all the ten seasons (or series as they call 'em) plus a couple of extra episodes here and there, which means I've watched approximately 110 hours of content. It's good, stomach-aching good, the British comedians are so great, it's a well designed show and there's a healthy amount of introspection on what it means to be a comedian, what real life is what performance is and where the 'funnies' comes from.

In addition to the whole episodes, there's a tonne of 'clip collections' on Youtube which I'll watch in between my work or writing, or free space in between chores. Because why not, it's the best of the best. And read the comments on youtube, I usually judge youtube comments as they're often mean racist sexist and stupid but the ones for the show are insightful and informative it's almost like you're in a forum of informed smart people who just want to share the inside story and the show gossip with you. That should be the topic for another post, on how youtube comments are actually good, unlike what everybody else likes to claim.

The latest trip in my unending journey for ever more Taskmaster content has been the podcast they released, a companion to go along with the shows. It's not even a 'rewatch' podcast as much as it's a watch-along podcast. Almost all the 'serious' big-name shows have come up with those companion podcasts as of late, something in there, there's yet another meaty topic for a post.

The podcast though is not just another funny contrived show, it's a genuine place for comedians that were in the original show, and also some who were not, to shine and give their opinions on their fellow comedians. It's a commentary on other people and their performance, as well as their own selves. We are not watching people far-removed from us as mere consumers. We're talking to them about watching other people, as they watch themselves. The content and the meta-content has merged into this giant blob of super interesting mass media and it's only increasing.

I love it.

The show's introduced me to at least half a dozen amazing British comedians, it's definitely worth giving a chance even if you have no clue what I'm talking about.

All the episodes are free to watch in full on youtube, uploaded by the original creators.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.