Maybe my medium's different AKA people turning their diseases into craft

 Conan O Brien likes to joke that the gift that he has, of the gab, of coming up with ridiculous stories and physical comedy bit etcetera, would have been seen as a disease, mental disease of some sort. And he's somehow managed to monetize that, turn the disease into a craft, and make a living off of it.

It seems like as we get into a more information and entertainment-oriented industry, more and more of us are turning our illnesses into crafts, perfecting and leveraging whatever mutation we've been left with, owning it, and making them the way to live our lives. The youtubers, for example, there's a million youtubers who will do nothing but talk shit about other people, or buy shit they don't need, nonstop, and monetize that. Or um adult performers with really fucked up mental situations experts in poking and inserting and removing things from various orifices, and turning that into consumable mass product. It's not just the people who produce the content, mind, it's the entire ecosystem behind them...the music people, the writers of such content, the producers, the people who empower the entire platform, etcetera.

So I'm thinking, maybe I should treat whatever disease I have...laziness, anxiety, lack of interest in doing anything that so much as required more motivation than to walk three blocks....into a craft. Maybe...just maybe...I'm the sort of person who doesn't know what the entire universe of craft and skills is, and will reject the craft that one's meant to take up. The Universe might not have writing and selling novels, being a widely-read conventional novelist in the cards for me, it could have something radically difu.ferent, one that's not fundamentally different.

I'd have no problems with that.

Only problem is identifying the issue. Interrogating the universe to discover what my gift is and how I can present it in a palatable form while competing with other disturbed people and their own crafts. It's going to be rough competing with people who will do rather unsavory...often disgusting things...because that's all they can do, but I'll give it a sure shot. I'll do my best.

That's my promise to you, dear reader. That one of yo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.