On Couscous: The great lie, and why I'm not impressed

In my defense I had no reason to doubt it.

As regular reader of this blog might remember, I've been on a mission to eat more healthy generally speaking as of late which means I'm diversifying my diet. Try more grains and flours, see what I like and what I don't and learn to play around with interesting less-used grains.

Couscous was my first foray into that, 'it's a food so nice, they named it twice', roommate BB says everytime I utter the word. I suspect it's from a tv marketing campaign from his childhood that was way too effective.

Let's cut to the chase: couscous is alright. If it were a different grain with amazing properties and nutritional values, that'd be something I'd consider eating more often, and exploring using in a plethora of different recipes. But it's not. It really is not, I was so very disappointed to discover. It's just a pasta shape, like they have them long pasta, and screw shaped pasta, there's grain-shaped small round pasta and it's called couscous.

It was apparently invented by the Israeli government as a replacement of sorts for rice, and to convince the local populace that it was a nutritious grain, though it is merely just another form of wheat. And it's a pasta, you can only do so many things with those.

The one jar of couscous which I bought from Market Basket many months ago remains only half-eaten, haven't been able to make it more palatable since discovery the original identity of the food. I'll finish it eventually, get it in one way or the other, but I"m not buying again.

There's nothing personal I have with the pasta, it's just if I were to eat pasta, i'd eat a more... filling... conventional... taste which would bind with sauces better, not flow like water or some shit. The texture's weird, and it doesn't have any taste. It's just there, disappointing, a reminder of an era long gone by.

The age of couscous is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.