Finished watching the good place, finally

As usual, this is a rush-job as I need to fill a self-set quota that's becoming increasingly hard to complete. This sort of bullshittery will stop, eventually. Until then, ya gotta put up with this.

I didn't write anything last night, because I had a headache, wanted to go to sleep, had put off writing to the very end of the day, and got stuck in a binge watch for the good place. The first three seasons I'd already watched and loved very much, so I spent four hours completing the fourth and the final season. There were like thirty minutes remaining of the final episodes, which I completed early today.

It's a great little self-contained show, not too ambitious but that's what probably made it so lovable. Great cast and acting all-around, fun writing by quite a few of SNL alum. The concept, execution, everything was well put together.

The last couple of episodes of the last season were great, even more so than other episodes. I'm however a little bummed that they squeezed so many different concepts and storylines within a single season. It had material worth at least two seasons if not more, so this season felt a bit compressed. Until the last two or three episodes, I was really wondering how they'd be ending the show as they'd not begun wrapping up. It was a bit abrupt.

Not that I'm complaining.

I'll be writing a different post on the Philosophy of the show, particularly with regards to death and how it actually doesn't address death as much as it purportedly does. The gist is that on several occasions the show does a feint: it's about prison reform while not suggesting that at all, it's about everyday human experiences and connections while it pretends to be about afterlife, the creatures in it are supposed to be immortal and 'extraterrestrial' but their nature and interactions with humans are clearly very human. The show takes you on a journey, teaches you lessons, and brings you back safe to your living room, and you never even notice the trip you were on. This is the best kind of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.