Snapchat is for making friends

 I will give out my Snap ID to people I'm not sure I want to give my number to, but who I want to kinda' follow. Since I don't have any other form of social media, this has worked out perfectly.

In addition to not revealing your phone number through the ID, snapchat lets you have this veil of semi-privacy. I don't have my real name, strictly speaking on snap, and they can't see my friend list, and I choose not to expose my location. Exposing your location 24-7 to randos on the internet is one of the scarier things I have seen people I love and care about do, but this works in my favor. I get to see people's stories while having a large amount of control of the information I do reveal.

It works both ways. Because people understand snap provides a lot more privacy than other apps, they are often more forthcoming with their communications and their shares. There's a higher level of trust and comfort in adding people to snap, because they have control over interactions and their image.

But ultimately, people can text and chatup each other. And it is somewhat of a social media, as limited in scope it might be. It's different from insta...nobody's there to maintain their dating profile for the world to follow, to funnel people from dating apps into their insta follower-count. You have control, but you can chat up semi-randoms who you met up once maybe who knows where, and might not, but on the other hand, if you figure out you're around the same place, or know the same people, there's some trust and connection compared to random people out from nowhere.

Snapchat is for making friends. It's for flirting with people you talk to once-in-a-while. It's for sharing short snippets of life that you assuredly know won't define your social-media image, confident that people understand you're having fun but you're also not that kind of person, always. It's about forgiveness, and forgetfulness and moving forward. Unlike literally every other piece of social media.

It's freakin' great. Please add me on snapchat. Let's get chattin' yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.