Updates on the Tu'rong fermentation

 Quick update on the turong ban fermentation. Astute readers will remember that it's a soy and rice ferment that's mixed together and left in high temps for months. Technically you're supposed to move it around everyday but I didn't bother. The end result is supposed to be a soy-sauce like product. I think I have it? Or I'm quite close to it. I didn't use the yellow rice as you are supposed to do, and didn't use koji, though it's unclear to me if that's the traditional way to do it, or if it's just the japanese lady who runs that blog who interpreted it that way. But besides that it smells...so very funky, rich, salty and (I know, don't beat me up for it) Umami. Yum.

It'll be ready to eat in a couple of weeks, and definitely in a few weeks.

Here's what I'm thinking: to use the remainder of the rice 'porridge' from which the alcohol has been taken out, and use it to make more of this sauce with the rest of my kinema. I think this is a ferment that's work taking beyond the pilot project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.