On losing Keys: lost and found, in the same place

I hadn't lost a key in a decade. I lost things all the time and in college stopped doing that. Yeah there was one time I lost my bag with my passport, and then the time I got robbed in Ghana but that was it, for a really long time. Never lost small things or even misplaced them. Because of my bad history with losing things I was very careful about remembering the proper location for things and not letting them go anywhere else.

So I was in great agony last week when I lost my pair of keys. They were inside the house for I used them to enter the apartment, and they were in my room, that much I knew but besides that no clue. I searched everywhere to no avail. I was angry disappointed at myself. Didn't go out for several days for the shame of having to borrow keys. Yesterday I borrowed roommate PK's keys and got a copy made at an absurdly inflated price from a vending machine at the nearest 7-11. I was desperate.

When I went to bed last night I heard my (new) keys fall down from under my pillows. I wished hoped that it was the fate met by the previous pairs of keys too. This morning I was eager to discover my new keys hanging around with their old friends. Alas it was not to be and they were there lonely and sad.

A little earlier today, after I got back from my evening walk I put the keys on top of my dresser on a pile of books I evicted from my desk in favor of the new screen. I saw the keys fall down into the chasm between various piles of books. Didn't give it much thought then. Later wanted to make sure the keys were there and checked in and guess what, my old pair was right there chilling. So I've found my old pair after wasting an embarrassing amount of money for a single bit of key in one of those startuppy machine that's taking keysmiths out of business. I'm mad, at myself at the world and the economic system that empowers those with capital to infinitely leverage themselves into infinite wealth as the rest of us beggar and serve them. And the system of governance that not only allows for that but actually protects and nourishes those forces. It's a fucking kleptocracy that's what it is.

Anyway, I'm happy the keys are found. And that's not even the entire story, I'm hiding key details -- hur hur hur -- from here out of embarrassment and will reveal as things become clearer going forward..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.