The need to get back into structured life and proper discipline

This is one of the strangest things I will have typed, but I miss the work-from-work days, the commutes and the structure my life had around work. Yeah the commute sucked and it was a total wasted 1.5 to 2 hours daily, but that made me realize I was wasting my time and use the rest of my time more productively. Now I'm not doing anything productive in those commute hours, and the rest of my hours are spent exceedingly unproductively because there's no guilt of having wasted time. There is no rules and discipline for life anymore, everything is in free form. My workouts have gone kaput, my projects have been paused, very little is happening right now. That is bad.

The only explanation I have for this is that the last six months when I was away from the house, I didn't have an opportunity to be in control of my time or my space. And the past month that I've been back in Boston was spent in great uncertainty about where I was going to be and what I'd be doing. Now that there's more stability and it's clear that I'll be here for at least another six months, it's a good opportunity to get back into proper schedule and rules. Be disciplined. That's important because it helps me organize my life, makes me feel better about where I'm going, makes me more productive, and is great for the mind as well as the body because that is the only way I can get workouts done.

I need more structure in my life, I need less 'free-form' time, more time doing physical and mental workouts and less time sitting on the couch and staring at the ceiling. Less time on the internet and on news websites and more time in thought, creation imagination, reading books and writing. More time on long walks, in conversations with friends, in hangouts and getting one with the nature. Less time in front of the screen, more time outside the door. This is what I seriously need from my life right now.

I have time now, and I have space. It's high time for me to be back in my routine. We're going on a long and tiring hike trip tomorrow, should start planning for great things for the coming week. Starting from waking up on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.