The state of my fermentation projects

The title of this post was written four days ago and I haven't written a word on it since, which means I need to hurry the heck up or it won't get written up. Gonna give a quick summary of everything.

Milk kefir is going outstandingly well, the texture is perfect, somehow the grains have started multiplying fking finally after me working on them for eight months and legit being afraid I'd fucked up the culture. Still get a bit lazy sometimes in terms of processing them and consuming them, but otherwise not too bad. I've been making a lot of smoothies or drinking them raw and it's been great.

Kombucha is failing, I don't think this batch of kombucha was good, I need to change tacks. I'm thinking of reaching out to PG's fried from her workplace, and requesting leftover culture from him. It'll take a few weeks to get started, so maybe after I'm back from the East. Ugh my batches haven't made pellicle at all and they're so goddamn yeasty and boozy. I'm kinda giving up on current batch of kombucha, it never worked for me, lets leave it at that.

Kefir is...going alright. Because it smelled to sulfury and not too tasty, and because I didn't have containers to put the processed material in, I haven't really done anything with those, and they've been growing pellicles of their own so something weird is definitely happening. I'll probably look into it in a matter of a day or two. It'll get better, but I need to make it tastier, and have the ferments move faster.

Chhyang making has stopped because it's summer and I don't want water boiling in my apartment for two hours and also the high-temperature brewed chhyang tastes nasty. Now that it's winter or fall though, I should get it going again, sweet sweet cold season brews incoming folks!

I got the tempeh starter, I bought soybeans, and all I need to do is actually boil and innoculate. With all the laziness and general shitfeeling going on, that's not happening yet, but soon, I have confidence in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.