Kodo and Sorghum mixture as replacements for rice...hmmm...more work to be done

I'm just done with eating dinner. It was kodo and sorghum grains, soaked in water for 24 hours, cooked for quite a while in the rice cooker. There was still quite a bit of crunch, which is not aligned with western expectations of grains you eat, and perhaps not Nepali either. My body is not particularly experienced with eating those grains, and in those exact forms, so I'm expecting at least some response of unusual nature. But if that doesn't happen, and I don't feel hungry until deep into the morning tomorrow, I know my experiment will have succeeded.

What are the outcomes of it? First, it's not going to work in this form. I didn't enjoying crunching down a whole bowl of grain with wet veggies. The texture is not the worst, but it can be worked on. I'm thinking of turning it into a bit of a soup in the pressure cooker, aka cooking the crap out of it and seeing how it does then. Plus, the flavors weren't completely awful, but they weren't top either, which means some sort of additional cookery with spices or veggies is warranted. I'm considering peas and spinach and some warm spices like cloves and cumin in the pressure cooker, along with a respectable amount of oil. If nothing else, it'll be healthy and rich in vitamins and minerals.

The mistake I made was to try the different grains together. I should have made them separately and eaten, and understood what sorghum is really like. But um, I'd have known if it was as good as rice, it's clearly not. And millet just by itself might have been scary, so it's worked out decently enough until this point.

A couple of more meals of the grains left, it's going to be a journey, one I hope to turn into a learning experience, and an opportunity for innovation and inventiveness, something I can turn into wonderful recipes to cook for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.