The utter, total, laziness in work-writing

I screwed the pooch, so to speak, with regards to writing at work, and doing other 'productivity-oriented' stuff I had planned last week. I wrote no essays, I wrote no plans, I didn't do anything that I had hoped and planned to do. Why, you ask? The self-justification is because uhhh it was hackathon week but that doesn't sound right, does it? It's just so hard to make one be productive, when the first thing one does right after getting up is opening one's laptop and going on youtube, and reading up on the news that is totally and completely unrelated to one's interests. Sort of like eating a large packet of cool blue ranch doritos as morning breakfast, followed by a large dessert lunch of tira misu and chocolate flan. And in the end, that's what it comes down to I think, that my mornings are shit, that yeah I end up doing the writings (I got back to my schedule on Wed and Thu fortunately) but only because my structure comes back later in the day. I'm being driven by motivation, not by habit or routine, and that's the worst way to get anything useful done according to some fantastic research I've been reading up on. This also relates to my weekend lack of productivity, there's nothing to anchor myself against, so I just get lost in the day.

So here's the direction for me. The moment I step off of the bed, I promise to do my morning habit that I've been following the last week, and then immediately get the kettle boiling, get the teabags ready. Open the laptop, and use the bathroom real quick, and start writing, or meditating or whatever, until the tea is ready, and keep doing that until the first meeting. THEN anchor my other daily activities on that first savers activity. That's the key to go: a morning ritual that everybody else has save for me because oooo I don't drink tea or coffee, so fancy, am I? What a silly git I've been, and it's time to get my habits straightened up. It's been a relative failure, but as you will soon be tired of learning, failures are friends, not enemies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.