Why I like to go all-in with the number of dishes when cooking

This is something everybody keeps asking me, so here we go, the answer is short and simple. The question is: why do I want to go so hardcore on the number of dishes and rounds when I have people over when on most occasions people only do an item or two or three? What's the point of it really, besides so much additional work? The answer is: there's not much additional work, since the main time commitment in cooking is getting started and setting things up. Once you're already cutting veggies, the difference in marginal work of cutting two potatoes versus four is not that much, and same with all other veggies. Since you can parallel cook in the air-fryer and the gas hobs, the cooking time scales quite sublinearly with the number of dishes being prepared. So the more dishes you cook, the better economies of scale you get with time. It's more efficient. Yes, in raw numbers term it's slightly more time and effort, but in terms of output, it's way more output than your input would suggest. Plus, I like to plan and see the concept in my head to execution, and having lots of dishes and executing them helps me with that: I can check how my plan fared against reality and what I did wrong. I also don't cook too many dishes on a regular basis, so these sort of occasions are a great chance for me to try my hand at traditional, fusion and new types of cuisines.

With all that in mind, it's way sillier to not be cooking many different dishes when having people over and cooking in bulk, actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.