Shitty discpline is as good as no discipline

The idea was, I'd write heads down for a year, whatever it was would get written I'd write for the sake of writing. Shit crap vomit there would be no reason to be embarrassed because I wasn't writing for the sake of writing I was writing for sake of discipline. TO make a habit of writing. When eventually I got around to it I'd be able to start working on my novels because the discipline would have been learned.

It seems...to be not the case. I skip days with no good reasons. There are days when I write whenever I want. I'm writing for the sake of writing now, not because I need to follow the rules. It's gotten me to vomit out so many words, lawless words that's not improving my writing. I know my 'voice' now, have begun understanding my weaknesses (everything) and strength (???), that's an achievement. More was expected.

The way forward is to be more strict about the timings. If there's an hour set for writing in the morning and an hour in the evening, the two hours have to be committed to no matter what. Unless extraordinary circumstances come up in which the hours have to be rescheduled, but have to be worked on. It's not about the words...there's been bragging about word count and post count recently in this blog, that's not what the original idea was. It was to write and keep writing for a designated period of time without the fear of being judged, seen as a fool an idiot a goon. Write just write. On and on and on, for a period of time. Just write man, just write. Don't wait for an 'inspiration', don't check out the news sites to give you an idea of a good topic. These are all procrastination tactics. Easiest way to write is to put hand on the keyboard and move the fingers. Doot doo doot doo doot doot.

Time commitment, that's of the utmost importance to the craft at this point. I don't got no real skills so I gotta work with what I got. Dear gods there's good writers out there. They're all over the internet, unpublished and writing thousands of words of comments on random forums and website articles. To compete with them one has to hone the craft, broaden the writing toolset. One must have a set timetable for learning those skillsets. Sharpen the knife.

Let's do this. Create a timetable and stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.