I gotta do my finances and I hate it

 For the entirety of the last month I've avoided 'doing my finances' aka figuring out the costs and expenses of various trips taken with friends, and splitting them up. It's not terribly hard, I just have to look at my credit card statement, figure out which of those were group expenses, mark them in an excel sheet, pass it on, and that'd be the end of it. That I don't seem to want to do, it's a bit of a pain in the bottom, because there's a tonne of potential money owed and owed to me that I haven't looked into. Should get into this quicker, because it'll reflect poorly etc.

In other news, I'm finally getting some money owed to me after five years of requests and coaxing, I gotta get better with my finances. And the reason they couldn't return it was they were deep deep in gambling debt, week after week, and the first thing they spent their money was on gambling, and not paying back the debt. What a fiasco, that.

I figured modern technology and tools would make doing these things simpler, but the complexity has just moved elsewhere, you still gotta handle your transactions. Like they say, the internet, and startups haven't really made things 'frictionless', and removed the 'middlemen', often they've become the universal middlemen, adding up layers into transactions that didn't exist before, and add more friction to otherwise-easy processes. While changing the economy and people's livelihoods on the way.

It's not going to be too long before people start wondering, what exactly are we gaining here, hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.