On Daiso...again

 Most of the things I've bought at Daiso aren't what I had in mind when I went in. Cute little socks for coffee table, charcoal deodorizing packs, portable chopsticks, a sake set, etcetera. And never have I been disappointed at the fateful findings there.

The quality is on par with any good store, the items are well-designed and manufactured. Daiso is famously a japanese company, but their manufacturing appears to happen in China. Which makes one wonder, why can't other ripoffs produce and design with a higher standard. Surely now that Chinese manufacturing has eaten the world twice over, they want to start working on quality -- and pricing that comes up with it -- and begin competing in the higher-tier things. But, one might say, that already happens in China, you just have to look in the right place for it. And that's completely correct, but most of the 'cheap chinese products' don't need to exist, the same tooling and processes can likely produce much higher-quality products, safe for the users and the world, and only slight increase in price, and hopefully a better margin. One hopes that's the future: less of the disposable shoddy crap, but cheaper higher-quality products.

The cute coffee table socks are lovely by the day, every time I look, I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.