I should really update my personal website, the professional one

 It's been lying dormant for six months now, the last time I updated I offered to help people out with their covid needs. There's not too many new professional updates, but I'm thinking it might be a good place to put in the better ones of my reviews and at least some technical content to show people who're going to be my employers, friends, fans, and lovers what and incredibly kind understanding loving caring humble and great person I am. Did I mention smart and strong and owh so cute too? Yeah, yeah.

I don't have any professional presence on the internet besides the website. No social media, no linkedin nothing. This afternoon I was talking to the rooommates, BB claims he gets at least two recruiters reaching out to him on a daily basis with job affairs. Roommate PK says even he, who is strictly speaking not somebody who works in a technical position, gets at least a few offers a week. They both credit their professional charm, as it may be, to their presence on linkedin, and suggest I get one too.

Couple of reasons why it wouldn't make sense for me.

First, there's nothing I hope to gain from my linkedin presence. I'm not looking for jobs since my job is getting me the green card.

Second, I don't want to be 'exploring opportunities' and spending all my time job hacking to a better location, better company, better position etcetera. Not because I'm not ambitious, but because that's what I'm not about. I'm okay being paid decent wages as long as I can afford a nice place in a nice city nearby friends and family.

Third, a linkedin presence is just so cheesy, and it needs constant responses and schmoozing, sending 'requests' and responding to them, all in a public space over the internet. That's not something I want to go back to doing. It's incredibly tiring and in the end worthless in an industry where you can find jobs with not great difficulty.

Fourth, all the jobs I've got to this point have pretty much been due to social contacts or due to somebody knowing someone who tells somebody that I would be a good worker, or that the company is a good place to work, and the employing team and I share common interests etcetera, and we hit it off. Never in my life have I ever gotten a job because I applied to a posting from a random company, got invited and accepted. Never has that happened.

Fifth, all the bullshit exams and preparations etcetera that everybody else seems to want to do all the time gives be great anxiety and increases my blood pressure, it's not college you're not trying to win it, it doesn't god fucking dam matter if you're the mfking smartest bunch of whole goddamn people in the world, it's just some fuckin' job you do to pay your bills, at best you're not causing active harm to others, but generally you're contributing towards a scary future for everybody. So stop pretending you're some fkin' angels and stop bothering me.

Etcetera.

I should be writing the day-end journal today, but not enough time, it's 20 to 12, and I'll call it a day right now, need to get up early tomorrow, and write three posts in the morning, four in the evening, and then things are back to normal, it'll be back to pushups and bookreads, the campbell book again. And checklists, ah checklists how I miss thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.