First few harvests of my herbs

 Late last week I harvested a bunch of my herbs. I used basil to make basil pesto, and mint to make minty drinks and a mixed drink for AS(y) who is visiting me this weekend. It felt good! The pesto was quite good actually, and I can see how my cooking might be shaped by the availability of herbs in my hydroponic garden.

Some considerations: rosemary is not thriving as well as I was hoping it would, but there's massive plants of it in the park, so I might bring in a few branches. And turns out mint is more of a 'weed' than an 'herb', so I will probably take it out of the machine and let it get the light, but all by itself. There are more precious and interesting herbs who don't thrive as easily who need the support of the hydroponic system.

Things I'm considering using my home-grown herbs for: curries and rices, kombucha flavorings, tea, tea flavorings, as 'perfume', and rice beer/drink flavorings. Maybe more ideas will be explored in the future, but this is what I've been trying to achieve for the last six or seven years, and I'm finally making serious progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.