How the hell to boil milk without burning

I'm making yogurt, and it's been such a hassle to leave milk unwatched and not have it burn. Two weeks ago I left the gas set on medium low, and there was a pretty chunky layer of burnt material at the bottom still. Now I'm questioning the very need to 'scald' the milk. The idea is, it's already scalded when they pasteurize the milk in the factory, so all I need to do it is heat it up to 55C (120F ish) and put it in similar temperature for half a day or so. That's what I'm trying at the moment. Put the milk on simmer right from the start, for 45-ish minutes, until it gets a bit too uncomfortable to touch, add the starter, and put it in the oven with the light on for half a day. If this works, I'm never boiling the milk again! Easiest yogurt ever.

Now to discuss the container situation...Hahah. Kidding. That'll be its own post. Possibly a novel. Because I HAVE opinions. (TM).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.