Has journaling effed up my writing skills?

Upsides and downsides, eh? What a time, what. a time. It turns out that I've written so much, so regularly, and writing has become such an inescapable part of my life, all of this journaling, and discussing my eating writing, sleeping habits and so forth that it has permeated all of my writing. I talked to the editor the other day, and he suggested I might need to get rid of my 'journal voice', because the sort of essays I was tryina write needed more of a professional voice, be more stylistic, and have a clear purpose, with certain structures. But they are read like a journal post, he said, and I agreed with him violently. My heck hurt due to nodding so aggressively in agreement.

It's quite clear, the aggressive journalling, and limiting my writing to just this and nothing else has limited my options, hindered my plans to expand and develop other related skills. This is all I do, and that too without any overseeing and editing, nobody to check up on it. As a result bad habits have been made and remain unfixed, there's no clear goal or plans in my head when I'm writing. No researching either (more on that in an upcoming post). So my posts are dry and too self-conscious.

One needs to get better at writing, to generalize the ever-important skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.