The missing piece: general acquaintances and casual friend groups

After reading Paul Scheer's book, I realized this: what I am missing is a casual friend group, and general acquaintances who one doesn't maybe consider friends, but ready to hang out. People who will bring their friends to your party too, friends of friends, people in the periphery of your circle. An opportunity to expand your circle and get to know more people. Interesting connections worth exploring, cool people worth meeting, opportunities where random person can become casual friend, a potential prospect, a date, a partner and so forth. I have a strong group of people who hang out for hours and hours, and we organize events and so forth, but that sort of people don't exist in my group. Or anybody's, for that matter. Where does one even meet them, really? That's the problem, innit, in Nepal you got them for free, in college they were everywhere, even in Boston since my roommates were their own networks there were times when I met their friends, and had tonnes of those peripheral people. Not many, and not too great, but they were there, some of them women too. But here in Seattle? None. It's a New York thing, PS said yesterday, that's the sort of friendships the city is good at. And man, if so then I should be rushing over there because consider me old fashioned, but I like to know people before getting to know them, understand the circles they hang around in, hang out with their friends and so forth. My social approach is not suited for the Seattle of the 21st century, the hope is it is for the NYC of our era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.