Hydroponics update: mint and basil take over everything else

Couple of days ago I took a nice long look at the hydroponics setup and discovered I'd accidentally turned it off for a few days. Well I put it on, but not before harvesting some very large parts of the plants, mostly basil and mint. I decided to check their roots too to see how they were doing otherwise, and ugh, they've taken over the entire freaking machine, and the rosemary and oregano are really struggling. Well oregano is long since dead, don't know how to resuscitate it, and rosemary I might have to give up on, but mostly because there's a massive bush of it in the nearby park and what's the point of spending money to grow it at home that way?

So I trimmed some serious amount of roots from both basil and mint. Will keep my eyes fixed on them for a few more weeks, if they're still as strong, I'll reduce the plant count, repot them in plant pots, and keep only the more 'cooler/rare' herbs in the garden. Dhaniya, for example, apparently you can do it in a hydroponics system, now that's a piece i'd like, along with lettuce and spinach. But this will have been an uhhh interesting experiment even if things don't go the direction of my desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.