Giving up efficiency of large batches for accessibility, simplicity and ease of small batches: lessons in fermentation, laundry and everything else

We've discussed this before, but I've learned now that my lessons in chhyang production are quite generalizable, so lets talk about it more.

The problem with doing large batches of chhyang at once is that there's so much goddamn work, so many ingredients, that it takes almost half a day, if not the entirety of it. But doing it all at once means I am able to amortize the 'fixed costs' such as cleanup into basically nothing. I'm the kinda guy that likes 'efficiency' so doing large batches is preferable.

I've tried to replicate that attitude with laundry too. I rarely do laundry when it's fewer than two rounds, the other day I did four loads in fact. And as before, it does simplify things, save time and effort. It's more efficient, simple.

But the downsides are that you have to wait for the need for the batch, which rarely happens. Agility goes down. While the process  may be more efficient technically, the 'accessibility' in terms of mental load to get the process done, and the ease and simplicity, in terms of the total resources needed to do a task, goes up. If I'm doing small laundry rounds, it takes me only 1.5 hours, if I'm doing bigger loads, it's 3-4 hours right away. It's very similar for brewing, and everything else. So yes, I do get much better return for my time, but the gross time is higher. Because of that, I do it a lot less often, and the process can get so complicated and tiring, often don't want to do it at all.

It's a fine balance between outcome-focused versus process-focused attitude. I've gotten too far in the outcome-focused end, and should change my attitude to like the process better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.