Paul Scheer's book is funny and y.i.k.e.s serious: Joyful recollections of Trauma

I began reading, and completed Paul Scheer's book Joyful recollections of Trauma earlier this week. I started the book as an ebook, but soon enough the library gave me the audiobook version, so I immediately switched over to the audiobook version. Strongly recommend the audiobook read by the author, with additional material from his comedy podcast and other performance, over the ebook.

What a read it was! Paul shares his strange, and downright traumatic childhood, and how his experiences shaped him to become the person his he today. He writes about his comedy career, its trials and tribulations, his relationship to his partner, and their marriage. He is honest and forthcoming about all the complicated issues he went through, and offers the reader an opportunity to make the same considerations that he did.

Something I realized after reading the book, is that most people find (found) their partners through extended friend groups, through weak acquaintance connections, friends-of-friends who people see every so often, which turns into friendship, which turns into a relationship and eventually a marriage. It's unclear to me if I'm missing that social situation, or if the American society has fundamentally changed to not allow for such social structures. Regardless, another reason to move to NYC.

9.5 out of 10 stars, highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.