Keep things neat and tidy, for greater productivity

One of the reasons my productivity in the previous weeks might have been down is because my apartment was so messy. I hadn't vacuumed in a couple of weeks, my sink was full of big dirty dishes that kept on piling up as I was done with leftovers from several preceding weeks, and the laundry pile got bigger and bigger. The psychological toll of not being in control of my immediate circumstances, let alone faraway things, dreams and desires might have been too much. It's important to keep one's surroundings neat and tidy to be inspired, to have a greater sense of control and purpose over one's surroundings. To want to write and create, I must clean first. To control the future, I must control the present. And to be in charge of the general present, I must control immediate present. Which is my immediate surroundings. I might feel lazy, tired or generally irritated by having to do basic chores, ones I don't enjoy. But there really is no way around it. I must learn to appreciate the process. I have learnt that eating ok food, basic farmer food, healthy food, is the best way to appreciate eating yummy food every so often in small amounts. I must understand that productivity doesn't come for free, satisfaction doesn't just arise, it must be created. The process of getting there is important. Monks in monastaries do menial tasks everyday to keep themselves grounded. Doing my dishes, cleaning up and doing everyday tasks is part of the process. It is something I must learn to enjoy if I want to transcend it, and everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.