I discovered obvious aspect of writing that i'd been ignoring: research!

I knew commentary, but research is quite important as well!

This should be obvious to well...everyone, but my journey to write more at work, and for my work has taught me incredibly useful skills that I would otherwise have to reverse engineer my way in otherwise unfavorable circumstances. The first thing to think about is research. As in if you're writing about making changes to a company, to your company, it's a really good idea to research what the company's existing policies are, what the leadership says, and how it might be modified to make your changes. You know how they say, if you want to learn about something, try changing it? Well to change it you need to learn about it, and to do that you need to do 'research', ask people around, read up on policies, do historical trend research and understand the motivations behind past actions. Then you can write the overarching piece that is comprehensive in its understanding of the past and provides more relevant and informed recommendation for the future. That doesn't mean you have to dump every piece of information you learned, but it does mean that you will need to know so much more, and all of that information is agglomerative. It will all contribute positively to your career inside the company later on, help you get raises and promotions, and teach you a strategy for learning about companies in general.

So: if I want to write about a company or person, it's a good idea to really understand it in detail, and spend at least a few hours doing research on it. Reach out to potential resources and ask them where I might be able to find the relevant information, and so forth...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.