In the Philippines, and wild beginnings

Continued from here. Still unclear how it'll end or where this will go, this is strange, even for me, we'll see, maybe I'm petering out on the idea already.

I took the deal.

There were no other urgent matters to attend to. A research project I was working on for the EU was due in a month but I could work on that from anywhere. Besides, South East Asia was where my mates had been hanging out lately, with the situation in Vietnam and the Philippines turned favorable recently, and with the offer on hand, it was tough to reject the offer. Besides, a red diplomatic passport would make my life significantly convenient.

I found myself in a small town in Masbate Island in the Philippines, no tourists to bother, and I could afford to buy a small cottage for myself. The assistant helped me get setup, used his contacts to introduce me to people connected to the ruling party and returned. I'd only have to call him up to move places.

The fishing town was in had incredible white-sand beaches but hadn't developed infrastructure to support tourists in volume. The days were hot and humid but the nights were tolerable, with air-conditioning one could almost forget that this was right smack in the tropics. I spent the evenings walking about town, to the church, the beach, looking at the fishermen unload their boats, the schoolchildren walking home teasing each other, the elderly out on evening walks. It was an intimate place, the sort where they talk to every newcomer and find out everything about them, right away no shame.

That town is where I ended up conceiving my first child.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.